How to Make Keurig Stop Saying Descale: 7 FAQs Answered
If you own a Keurig coffee maker, you might have encountered the frustrating message that says “descale.” This warning pops up when the machine senses a build-up of mineral deposits in its internal components. While descaling is essential for maintaining the performance of your Keurig, it can be bothersome to constantly see this message. In this article, we will discuss how to make your Keurig stop saying descale and provide answers to some frequently asked questions.
1. Why does my Keurig keep saying descale?
Keurig machines have a sensor that detects mineral deposits, such as calcium and lime scale, that accumulate over time. This build-up can affect the performance and lifespan of your coffee maker. To ensure optimal brewing, Keurig alerts you with the “descale” message.
2. How often should I descale my Keurig?
The frequency of descaling depends on the hardness of your water and usage patterns. As a general guideline, it is recommended to descale your Keurig every three to six months. However, if you notice a decrease in performance or if the “descale” message appears frequently, consider descaling more often.
3. How can I descale my Keurig?
To descale your Keurig, follow these steps:
1. Empty the water reservoir and remove any remaining Keurig pods.
2. Mix a descaling solution combining equal parts of white vinegar and water.
3. Pour the solution into the water reservoir.
4. Place a large mug or container on the drip tray.
5. Start a brew cycle without a coffee pod, using the largest cup size.
6. Repeat the brew cycle until the water reservoir is empty.
7. Rinse the water reservoir thoroughly and fill it with fresh water.
8. Run several brew cycles with only water to flush out any remaining descaling solution.
4. Can I use a commercial descaling solution instead of vinegar?
Yes, you can use a commercial descaling solution specifically designed for coffee machines. These solutions are readily available in stores and may provide a more convenient option. Follow the instructions provided with the descaling solution to ensure safe and effective descaling.
5. My Keurig still says “descale” after descaling. What should I do?
If your Keurig continues to display the “descale” message after descaling, try the following steps:
1. Power off your Keurig and unplug it from the power source.
2. Remove the water reservoir and empty it.
3. Clean the water reservoir thoroughly, ensuring there are no blockages.
4. Check the needle that punctures the Keurig pods for any clogs and clean it if necessary.
5. Reassemble the machine and plug it back in.
6. Power it on and see if the “descale” message disappears.
6. Can I prevent mineral build-up in my Keurig?
While it is impossible to completely prevent mineral build-up, you can minimize it using filtered or bottled water instead of tap water. This will reduce the amount of mineral deposits in the machine. Regular descaling is still necessary, even with filtered water.
7. Is it safe to drink coffee from a Keurig that needs descaling?
While it is safe to consume coffee from a Keurig that needs descaling, the taste and quality might be affected. Mineral deposits can alter the flavor and aroma of your coffee. Therefore, it is advisable to descale your Keurig promptly to maintain the best coffee experience.
In conclusion, a “descale” message on your Keurig can be a nuisance, but it is crucial for maintaining the performance and longevity of your coffee maker. By following the descaling process, using the recommended solutions, and taking preventive measures, you can make your Keurig stop saying descale. Remember to descale regularly and enjoy a delicious cup of coffee every time you brew!